community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Ad Hoc Reporting Similar to MS Report Builder

ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

I'm just "thinking out loud" and wondering if anyone has accomplished something similar to what I envision.

We are looking for a good replacement for the functionality of MS Report Builder or cubes with Excel front end, where users can basically drag and drop fields in a pivot table manner.

I've had limited success connecting Tableau directly to our data - some of it is too big for Tableau to interact with efficiently. So my first option is to just create the joins and export as a .tde in Alteryx, because I think Tableau will probably work faster if it's not having to "write" SQL queries on the fly. I also think the .tde will be faster/smaller if it's coming out of Alteryx than if Tableau creates it (it was taking upwards of 45 minutes, and that's with severely limited data. Even if it still takes 45 minutes in Alteryx, we can run it overnight and then users won't have to wait for it to generate.)

But I'm toying with some other ideas. My theory is that I should be able to accomplish this by setting up the "cube" back end in Alteryx (create the necessary joins), and then create an app so users can:

1. Interact with a select tool to choose desired columns

2. Interact with a date filter tool to set date parameters or other restrictions

3. Interact with a summarize tool for aggregations

Has anyone done something similar with success?

The part that becomes foggy is getting the data out. One way is to create a .tde after all criteria are established, and that's fine. I'm not sure if there's a way to allow for interactive charting directly in Alteryx (like can users access visualytics from the gallery?).

As I mentioned, at this point I'm really just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, so any feedback is welcome.

@thizviz aka cbridges, Bolide
http://community.alteryx.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2328
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ThizViz,

Wanted to see how this project was going and if you came up with any creative solutions?  

I've been thinking about this too and think part of the answer would be using the Insights feature on your private Gallery.  With Insights, you are able to dynamically select fields you want to see as well filter by date.  I was curious if you've tried anything like that yet, if so great.  Also if you hit a wall, I was suggest posting this or your specific request on our ideas page.  

Thanks,

Kyle

ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I haven't had a lot of chance to experiment, and we don't have server installed yet. But I'm eager to try your suggestion when we do have server. I'll keep you posted!

@thizviz aka cbridges, Bolide
http://community.alteryx.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2328
Labels