Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Active Pivot

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

Is it possible to generate active pivot output via alteryx workflow . 

What i mean is the when i click on the output pivot data , it should give me detail line item level information based on which pivot was made. 

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @praneshsapmm,

I don't think Alteryx have capabilities like this. I searched through the community, and fortunate for you, I have found a workaround:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Creating-pivot-table-with-filters-like...

Basically, you would need to overwrite data in a different sheet, and the pivot table would need to be refreshed manually.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

As @Emil_Kos mentioned - there's no pivot-table output available in Alteryx, but the way people do this is they set up the pivot-table in Excel pointing to a hidden sheet, and then they overwrite the data in that hidden sheet.

There are a few other options:

- You could build an analytical app that has some basic options on what data to filter / pivot by - and that produces a static pivot

- You can output this to a .tde and give people the option to do a pivot in Tableau

- you could pump this out to a SQL server and put an OLAP cube on it (or the same with Essbase) - that way you're generating an OLAP cube that can be accessed from many locations.   This will take some serious engineering, but if you're dealing with pivots of a lot of data (e.g. a General Ledger for a big company) then this is the way you'd have to go eventually.

praneshsapmm
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Emil_Kos ,

I tried to do this . Alteryx is updating the data sheet . But when i open the pivot sheet of this data , it opens but crashes immediately . 

I idea why is this happening. Check box to refresh data while opening is already available .

Thanks.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @praneshsapmm,

It is hard to say. Maybe there is some Kind of problem with the data that you are importing.

do you receive any error message? Can you check with alteryx how the crashing sheet looks in Alteryx?

Labels