ALTERYX INSPIRE | Join us this May for for a multi-day virtual analytics + data science experience like no other! Register Now

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Activating Alteryx designer license in a cloud VM running windows server?

Vinay
5 - Atom

Is there a way to use Alteryx designer in a VM (running windows server 2012 R2) without requiring Alteryx server license. I was able to install alteryx designer in my cloud VM but when i enter my license key it says that the current OS is not supported. Is there a way i can just get a alteryx desginer license for windows server?

Please advise

Thanks

Vinay

danielbrun
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi Vinay,

You would need a license that is server enabled. I would take contact to your sales rep, and I bet he/she can help help you. A "normal" Alteryx Designer and Dekstop Automation license needs to be activated on desktop OS.

Best,

Daniel

fharper
12 - Quasar

This is a little late in coming so I am assuming you have the answers now but for the benefit of others who find this post here is what we found in our evolving use of Alteryx.  We were a couple of guys running designer on laptops.  worked well in the office but across a vpn connection working remote you drag too much data to be effective.  as we added staff and out corporate IT policies tightened we had additional issues just working in the office with McAfee interfering with our work issues with differences in machines and drivers and such.

In addition to what grew to 8 licenses just in our group we had one designer license with Scheduler/API license add-on to run production work with our home built scheduler system.

Long story short you can run Desinger only on Server but need a new key.

We decided to move everyone to a server to get on a different IT security policy that prevented updates in primetime and blocked cetain McAfee activity on Alteryx and allowed us to work remotely without degraded efficiency, since it is really running back in our infrastructure.  All good things....until we tried to install the "desktop" designers on the Server OS.  We had the same problem of wrong OS and sorted the issue to a workable if not good solution.  

1. Alteryx offers a designer license on desktop OS which is your basic windows 7 thru 10 standalone install and you have licenses add-ons like API/Scheduler, Data, etc.
  2. Alteryx offers a designer license on Server OS which is your windows server operating system, server 2012 or newer typically theses days.
    1. Unfortunately the one thing they will not let you have in this Server OS version is the API/Scheduler feature. 
    2. And because of the OS differences Alteryx gives you a new license key to allow it to run on that OS.  It is a swap for the desktop key but you will need a new key for it to recognize the OS as authorized.  IT may be a different install package, we did fresh download to server platform we built as we kept the desktop versions active for a couple weeks overlap to allow transition time...Alteryx was very accommodating on the overlap time.
  3. Alteryx Offers the more expensive Alteryx Server license that includes API/Scheduler feature as well as Gallery and a few other things.  All nice and wish we had the budget for but we don't.

So ...

1. we set up a Virtual server running 2012 OS and installed the designer only licenses each of our staff uses plus one with Data option.  You need to get terminal services to allow more than 2 simultaneous users on the windows server platform.  Now our team can work remote, from home or when traveling with security and performance.
  2. We set up a windows 7 OS on a virtual machine to run a designer desktop license with the Scheduler/API to run our production work

fharper
12 - Quasar

As of 2018.2 and the new license management system they can now allow same license to operate on Windows Desktop or Server OS.  You no longer need to get a different key if you switch OS environments per recent discussion with the fulfillment team

Xueliu
5 - Atom

Hi @fharper, thanks for your input! I installed Alteryx on the Windows server 2016, VM instance created on Google Cloud. However, the activation suggested that I will need a server-enabled key. It will be a great help if by any chance you could help! Many thanks in advance. : )

fharper
12 - Quasar
We have the same license key with multiple seats were 2 seats are on a vm running ms server 2012 R2 and 2 are on laptops running windows.

So I am wondering... are you trying to use a designer only key to activate an Alteryx server install? The Alteryx server would be a different key than a designer.
Xueliu
5 - Atom

Thanks a million, it could be the reason! I think I will need to consult our org. license distributor for specific details. 

mpatters81
5 - Atom

@fharper Are you running each user with a "non-admin version" of designer on your server or are you running a single admin version for your vm supported users.  We were working well with non-admin install of 2018.4 but on recent upgrade to 2019.2 the first user was able to upgrade successfully, but remaining 2 users have incurred errors that say the appropriate uninstall package is not there and we are unable to upgrade.

fharper
12 - Quasar

At the time I had forced standardization on Admin installs to simplify some other issues...McAfee ATP and similar tools can crash Alteryx and the white list solution in the beginning was simpler if we all installed the same way...could have done all non-admin but most of us were already admin installs we we settled on that.  I think there were a couple other nuances that made an admin install a little more desirable but I forget the details and don't work there anymore and so don't have the notes to refer to why I went that way.

As to being in a VM or server there can be a number of things at play.  As I recall you could install one version with setting to share with others on same computer, the simplest to do and easiest to maintain and one person would to the upgrade testing and then the actual upgrade and the others would just get informed of when and what to expect.  Another option which is what we did...though I had planned to migrate to the former approach but I since left that org, was each person got a CAL on a Server and would set up their own Alteryx and other tools in their User partition.

But as I mentioned we did not do non-admin installs.

For your case it sounds like you are saying you had separate non-admin installs for everyone and one person upgraded and now the others can't?  There can be a number of issues, certainly more than i can guess...but it may be that the one was an non-admin but in the upgrade did an admin install...and somehow trashed the others package for uninstall...or in doing admin put a file in place that is taking precedence so that the other instances are "confused". or it may not be an admin/non-admin issue but an issue of selecting the option to allow other users to run Alteryx and being a server the setting may impact the others..there are many pointers in the system and some may be pointing to a shared instance and others to the user specific one...you will probably need to get Alteryx on the phone or in a webex so they can see what files are where in order to sort it out.  the "punt" option is have each remove the alteryx program then do clean installs and watch them every step of the way. do it in series,,1st person, check all good, then next person....and so on.

That said ...the concept of remoting into a Server to work is awesome...

1. often better performance on cpu and RAM in a properly sized VM/server...a lot of people end up with undersized laptops for some of the work done in Alteryx
  2. Better performance on read and write functions because you aren't dragging the data across skinny VPNs or sketchy office networks
  3. More secure because the data stays intranet...it doesn't get exposed to foreign networks like at Starbucks or wherever...and you don't store sensitive data on local hard drives.
  4. and it is sweet to be able to start a long running workflow then disconnect and get on a plane or drive home and then reconnect to see the results and continue the work as needed.  

Good luck on finding resolution...sorry I can't really help...but do please update your post with the outcome when you discover it...even if you can't find the root cause but come up with action to resolve....so we can all benefit from your pain.

mpatters81
5 - Atom

thank you for the detailed response and options.  Will be moving to new server, so will control the installs as you suggest.

Labels