Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Action Tool not prompting user

parria1
8 - Asteroid

There hopefully is a better way to do this, but I am trying to update a field named MTH each month. The files I am given do not include this field and it will change each month. For example, for February I want the MTH field to change from 2019-01 to 2019-02.

I am trying to use an action tool to do this. I used a formula tool to create the MTH field and I have the lighting bolt connected to the action tool. I have it configured to update expression value 2019-01 and checked the box at the bottom to replace specific string 2019-01. the workflow runs fine, but does not prompt to enter in the new month, so 2019-01 is output in the MTH field.

3 REPLIES 3
ThizViz
11 - Bolide

In order to get the workflow to require user input, you must run it as an analytic app using the "magic wand", not the regular run button, as shown in the screenshot in this post...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Interface-filter/td-p/86181

@thizviz aka cbridges, Bolide
http://community.alteryx.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2328
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Exactly as @ThizViz said, the wizard interface is where users will be prompted to interact with the interface tools you've added. In case you're on the latest version, the buttons have moved from where they are shown in the linked post.

20190329-RunButton.png

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @parria1 

Great tips from @ThizViz  and @CharlieS 

Also, don't forget to configure your app at the Interface Designer Tab.

You can check the free live training lessons from Alteryx that are very useful on building apps:

Live Training: Analytic App Development for Intermediate Users

Live Training: Introduction to Applications

Live Training: Intermediate App Development

Interactive Lessons have a whole section on Analytic Apps as well:

Creating Analytic Apps

If you need any assistance please let us know.

Cheers,

Labels