Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Access workflow Meta Info from the workflow?

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Is it possible to reference the workflow meta info (workflow configuration --> Meta Info tab) from within the workflow? Perhaps with %type.name% syntax?

Specifically, we're wondering if it would be possible to inject something like the Author name into a string within the workflow. This doesn't actually work, but something like "The author of this workflow is: %MetaInfo.Author%"

kelly_gilbert_0-1621434218638.png

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @kelly_gilbert ,

I have a blog coming out on the method used to get this...

I have a workflow where I am the author:

mceleavey_0-1621436807402.png

When I load this in as a Flat ASCII I can see the following in the raw xml:

mceleavey_1-1621436877583.png

I hope this helps.

If you need a full walkthrough prior to the blog coming out (should be next week) then DM me and I'll be happy to show you.

M.

Bulien

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Thanks @mceleavey, but that's not what I was looking for. I know how to parse the workflow XML, but I'm looking for a way to access those values within the workflow. 

I know I can have the workflow parse itself, but I was planning to use that as a last resort.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mceleavey 

I had the same question as @kelly_gilbert . It is possible to reference Author name or any other config field of a workflow within the same workflow.

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @kelly_gilbert 

Unfortunately, the only way to access the Meta Info values within a workflow is to parse the workflow itself as you mentioned. I have seen some idea posts regarding this topic with the desire to have Alteryx add this capability, but none of them have received any traction. 

Cheers!

Phil

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Thanks, @Maskell_Rascal - I forgot to check for Ideas! 

For @atcodedog05 or anyone else who is interested, this looked like the most relevant idea to upvote: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Workflow-Meta-Info-as-engine-constant/idi-p/...

If I missed any others, please share!

I think our solution is going to be to adding a user constant (which would be included in a standard workflow template).

Labels