Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Access files from local machine via analytical app in Alteryx Gallery

OksanaBezpyata
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have an analytical app, which allows you to choose file on your local machine, process some data transformations and output the csv file on location specified by you (ex: also local machine). It works in Designer, but I would also like to run the analytical app in Gallery.

I have used Text Box to update the path, where the file should be outputted (similar as in this post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Folder-Browse-Not-Available-on-Galler...), as File Browse doesn't work in Gallery. I receive an error: "Cannot access the folder". Is there any other workaround except from saving files on a network location that the server login has permission to access? 

Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @OksanaBezpyata ,

If you want to upload a single file (in case of excel, only one sheet), it is totally possible to do it with the file browse tool.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @OksanaBezpyata, I don't think there is a known workaround to have the Alteryx Server to write back your local machine.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @OksanaBezpyata 

It's difficult to diagnose this without seeing your workflow, but it sounds like the workflow is configured to write the output file to the path that the user enters into the text box, i.e. c:\work\somefolder\output.xlsx.  When this runs on your computer it writes to "c:\work..." on your computer.  When it runs on the gallery, it also tries to write to "c:\work\somefolder\output.xlsx" on the server.  Since it's a server, the process that runs the workflow probably doesn't have the permissions required to access this path.  If you run this manually, then your credentials probably don't have permissions, either.  Even if the file did manage to get written, you'd either need access to the server or a share set up on the server to retrieve the file. 

I think you have a few options available to you.

1.  Configure your app so that it "opens the files from these tools" and select the output tool.  This will open the file in a excel on the users computer, after which the user can save it anywhere they like.  You may to change your output format to .xslx to get this to work properly

2. Send your output to a shared drive, where the gallery service account has access.

3. Have the user enter an email address in to the textbox and send the output to them.

Dan

OksanaBezpyata
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much for an answer! 

Unfortunately, there is no possibility me to accomplish option 2, 3. But could you be more specific about option 1, where and how can I configure the app?

Thank you for your help!

Oksana

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@OksanaBezpyata 

On the Interface Designer, click the gear icon on the left.

danilang_1-1586457593274.png

Configure the output tool to write to %temp%filename.xlsx.

Dan.  

OksanaBezpyata
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang 

Thank you a lot! I have tried this option and it finishes working with success when I run it in Gallery. I specified %temp% in output file, but I can't find a file generated. I have attached the screen to show the way File_Name is created: it is created from three inputs specified by user.

These are paths from my Workflow settings:

TempFilePath: C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Temp\

WorkflowDirectory: C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Temp\Staging

So I expect the file to be generated in: C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Temp

Could you look through the screens may be I have missed smth.

Thank you!

Oksana

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @OksanaBezpyata 

Disconnect the Action tool from the output tool.  You want the output written to the %temp% directory.  That file should then be presented to the user at the end of the workflow.  It should look something like this

danilang_0-1586521197933.png

Click on the file icon and the file should open on the user's computer in excel

Dan

OksanaBezpyata
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @danilang 

I needed action tool, because I form the name of the file from user input, so I didn't remove it, but removed %temp% and just specified the name of file in output file and it worked.

Thank you again for answering all my question! 

Have a nice weekend!

Oksana

Labels