Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Access Denied on output to Excel with two sheets

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I'm outputting to a shared drive I have access to. The Excel deck consists of one document, two sheets. The "Access Denied" error takes turns with each sheet. I'll delete the output Excel document and start again. Am I using the Block Until Done tool incorrectly? 

output_GenesysUsersBlockUntilDone.png

Thanks for any assistance,

Chris

7 REPLIES 7
knobsdog
8 - Asteroid

From what I've read about Block Until done it only stops till the first tool has cleared.  Maybe adding a select on the other output would slow it down enough to separate processing time so it doesn't try the doc at the same time.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Archaeopteryx 

I tried similar to yours. It seemed to work for me though.

atcodedog05_0-1608310147320.png

You can check this example. If you provide your workflow we can look into it.

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Thank you for the replies with assistance. 

This error occurs on a shared drive or NAS space. There may be accessibility issue going on, which I'll take care of.

Thanks,

Chris

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Glad to hear you solved it @Archaeopteryx 

PhilipL
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you still run into issues once you have checked on the accessibility issue, you can look into other options for the order of orchestration, in addition to and in some cases better than "Block Until Done."

For example, my favorite approach is embedding steps into specifically ordered batch macros, which are guaranteed to each fully execute before moving to the next step.

Thanks,

Phil

Archaeopteryx
10 - Fireball

Hi Philip

Thank you, but I get access denied when I click your link. 

Chris

PhilipL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sorry, that may have been an old link. 

The batch macro orchestration process I mentioned is still valid. The image below shows 5 steps orchestrated in a specific order using batch macros.  The batch macros contain each specific step and nothing more. I pass a dummy/placeholder parameter from step to step to keep things moving.

Within each step I'm reading and writing a file.

PhilipL_0-1608326308179.pngPhilipL_1-1608326354954.png

Labels