community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

ARIMA: Error in searchDir(dbDir, lang) : expecting a string

Hi @KOBoyle and @calan,

Could you please confirm that both of you have an admin version of Alteryx installed (aka C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Messages exists) ?

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Senior Customer Support

Alteryx Certified Partner

Paul,

Help > About says that I have the Non-Admin version. However, the directory ..\bin\Messages directory does exist.

Here is the output of the queries. Language appears on the list with the first query, but not the second.

C:\Users\koboy>reg query HKCU\Software\SRC\Alteryx

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx
    InstallerFileName    REG_SZ    AlteryxDownloadManager11.8.3.40692_NonAdmin_x64.exe
    LastInstallDir    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin
    SerialNumber    REG_SZ    koboyle@senturus.com
    InstallDir64    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin
    Language    REG_SZ    English
    InstallTitle    REG_SZ    Alteryx 11.8 x64 (User)
    LastAccess    REG_SZ    1516725815
    QueryBuilderDefault    REG_SZ    None

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\10.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\4.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\GalleryCredentials
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\Macros
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\ScheduleService
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx\Tutorials

C:\Users\koboy>reg query HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx
    SerialNumber    REG_SZ    koboyle@senturus.com
    InstallDir64    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin
    LastAccess    REG_SZ    1516413035

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx\Service

Meteoroid

@PaulN Thanks!!

...so, the following steps seemed to have resolved the issue to allow the workflow to run successfully:

1) stop Alteryx Designer

2) run regedit.exe and rename "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx" to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx 24Jan2018"

3) restart Designer & run the sample workflow

15_Time_Series_Success.png

Alteryx Certified Partner

Those steps resolved the issue for me too. Any explanation for why a registry edit was required?

Thanks,

Ken

Awesome @KOBoyle and @calan!

Thanks for the feedback!

So, it's difficult to say without knowing more about the different installations that took place on your machine. I would say that Designer admin version was installed in the past and later uninstalled.

The script in charge of .adding the localization  variables (language and translation database) to R first checks if it could find an admin version (Key HKLM\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx exists) and, if not, looks for a non-admin version (Key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRC\Alteryx exists).

From these keys, it's going to extract Alteryx Designer installation ("InstallDir64") and Designer installation language ("Language"). If, following a previous installation, registry was left "dirty", Predictive tools could be confused (from not being able to install to produce various errors like this one).

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer

Highlighted
Atom

Hello Paul,

I am facing the same problem as well.

I followed to do the same step as @KOBoyle and @calan,

1) stop Alteryx Designer

2) run regedit.exe and rename "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx" to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx 24Jan2018"

3) restart Designer & run the sample workflow

But still not working for me.

I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall Alteryx and as well as window also.

I have non-admin installer version 11.8.

Other quick question, when i tried to install this non-admin installer, where should i select dircectory?

Leave default "C:\Users\user name\App Data\Local\Alteryx" or select to "C:\Program Files\Alteryx"

Any idea with this.  I have been locked with this error for two weeks.

Thanks for time.

Sincerely,

Eric.

Hi @eric_thu,

Sorry to read that, despite the workaround, you are still facing the issue.

Do you have an admin and a non-admin version of Designer installed on the machine? Or did you have an admin version previously?

Non-admin versions should not be installed in locations requiring administrator rights -like %PROGRAMFILES% for instance. Default location is fine.

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer

Atom

Please change the date part to current date and it should work. It worked for me.

for example on 4/19/2018 my file name looks like "Alteryx 19APR2018"

Atom

This finally worked... thank you so much!  the 24Jan2018 worked for me, using 2018.2 non-admin/non-elevated now everything is finally working! Thank you!!

Labels