Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

API Output tool usage

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at the API Output tool for a couple of days now, and have generally struggled to wrap my head around its usage. I did look at this community link but can't quite understand where would I need it: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Dev-Space/API-OUTPUT-TOOL/td-p/79520

Is there anyone among us who has used it? If yes, I request you to share your insights on what role is it playing for you. Also, how does this tool benefit if it is part of a workflow published to the Gallery.

I almost feel the need for a dedicated Tool Mastery page on this tool.

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AbhilashR 

What the API Output tool does is take the data available at any point in the workflow and push it to the results window. 

This dataset 

danilang_0-1585913802033.png

become this in the results window

danilang_1-1585913859767.png

This is isn't really useful when running in Designer since you can always look at the results yourself.  Where the tool really shines is when you use it in conjunction with the Gallery API, specifically the GET /admin/v1/workflows/jobs/ verb.  This returns some job metadata followed the contents of the results window.  By pushing data into the results using the API Output tool, you can add info to show the state of the data at that point when the job is executed on the gallery.

Dan 

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

That was insightful, thanks @danilang!

Labels