Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

API Connection to Workday API?

DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

Has anyone created a custom connector to the Workday API? Wanted to check with the Community prior to building one out.

Thanks! 

22 REPLIES 22
DanielS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
DanielS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@DataPrepChad Turns out this connector is not actually the best - but all you have to do is make the workday report web-enabled witch generates a URL we can then connect to via the download tool. This is how Tableau is using it. 

DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

Good to know, thank you @DanielS!

usmanbashir
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Chad,

I've built out a connector for the Workday API. Let me know if you still have any questions.

Thanks

cadyb
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are there any specific requirements for the Download too in Alteryx when configuring to download a report from the Workday site? We've generated an Excel report and copied the report URL, specified the file name as the download file (Filename from Field), and entered the credentials in the Connections tab. Does the download tool need to be configured for SOAP API call?

Thanks!

Cady 

MattG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@DataPrepChad Did you ever try the Workday connector that was mentioned in this thread or use the URL connection method with the Download tool?

DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

Hey @MattG, unfortunately the "solution" in the thread doesn't appear to be an actual tool, but rather a workflow process similar to Zapier or MS Flow.  I'm actually working with a colleague to figure out the level of effort to build out a connector for this though, stay tuned! 

FFFool2
5 - Atom

Hello, 

My company is switching to Workday and I've created this Macro to make it easier to pull reports from Workday. The way it works is you run the report in workday, go to "Actions" -> Web Service -> View URLs, Right Click on the Simple XML Link and Select Copy Link. That is pasted in the "Please Enter URL From Workday Webservice" box, and then you enter your Workday Name and Password into the prompts. 

The workday uses the XML Parse tool, and Dynamic Select and Dynamic Rename to only output the columns you want and remove "wd:" from the column headers.

This is a fairly simple Macro, so I feel like I'm missing something if the community hasn't come up with this solution yet, but I'm not sure. Feedback is certainly welcome. Please also note that I've only tested this on a web-enabled report with 1 field. I'm unsure of any impact of reports with multiple fields, but hope to test in the next couple of days as I work with our Workday team to get a more comprehensive report set up. If the data comes in vertically, I will need to add Crosstab to the macro and adjust the other tools. 

I placed the macro in the Public Alteryx Gallery HERE. (I think that works, at least. First Gallery post.)

Thanks! 

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Posting in case anyone is having difficulty in the same way I did.

I had a Workday report created.  Pasting the URL in my browser prompted me for a username and password and could successfully download the report as a csv.  However, when I tried to download in Alteryx, I wasn't able to get the data. 

Workday Download Error.png

The issue was actually with a default setting in the download tool - Encode URL Text.  Unchecking this box fixed the issue and my data is now being downloaded.

Workday Download - Encode Box.png

Hope this helps anyone else out there who may be struggling with the same issue.

Labels