Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

API Authorization Failed

jayviz
7 - Meteor

I am trying to access an already working with new set of Access point URL/Client ID/.../Token however I am running into 'Authorization Failed' issue. I am not sure if its really an authentication issue or something wrong with the way I generate token from Alteryx.

Here are the steps:

Step 1 - Generate a token using access point URL+ client ID+ client Secret ( I am not sharing those details )

Step 2 - Once I have the token I am using download tool and json to retrieve the data from the actual URL. Here are the screenshots

Download tool highlighted followed by Json to format the data

jayviz_0-1613172075170.png

Input to Download Tool (This is a combination or actual URL I a going to read the data + access Token ). One thing I am concerned here is the message "The cell has truncated characters" in the access token field

jayviz_1-1613172141629.png

Output from Download Tool - I am getting some authorization failed messages back from the tool, even though it shows connection established. I am not sure if the issue is with the token (since it has truncated character warning in it. Or genuinely this is an authorization issue.

jayviz_2-1613172364272.png

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @jayviz 

The message "This cell has truncated characters" is shown when you examine the results by clicking on any tool other than a Browse tool.  Strings over 256 characters and anything beyond the 6th decimal point for double values are not displayed to conserve memory.  The values are complete in the workflow, they're just not displayed in full in the results.  If you want see the complete results, connect a Browse tool to the output of your Download tool and examine the results there.   

The displayed message in a Browse tool is different "This cell has > 256 characters".    To examine the complete value, double click on it and it will display in the cell viewer pane.

danilang_0-1613219848127.png

This will allow you to look at the complete DownloadData and DownloadHeaders fields to help you track down the error.

Dan

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jayviz,

There seems to be some kind of weird error to the server you are trying o acces. Usually if you use wrong credentials the error on the identification should be a "Http 401" but instead you are getting a 200 OK result on the headers. Not really sure what is happening.

Would recommend you to check first if the credentials you have are correct or if there is some character missing at the end for example.

Btw, what I am saying here has nothing to do with what @danilang is saying. As he says, the truncated info you are seeing is not an error, just some info telling you that what you are able to see without a browse tool is limited.

Regards

jayviz
7 - Meteor

Thanks, it was an authorization with the API I used to read the data. When I pointed it to the right API this was resolved.

Labels