Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

AMP engine does not work with crosstab

sjain71
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am trying to develop a workflow but whenever I mark the "Use AMP engine" it gives me an error "No conversion from bool to blob but when I uncheck the use the AMP engine it works fine with no error.  Screenshot attached

Help Appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@sjain71 

Thank you for the early feedback on the new AMP Engine. We are working hard to address issues that our customers are finding now that AMP is available.

I will need a bit more information in order to look into this. When I run the one tool examples for CrossTab with AMP they run fine, so it must be something specific to your input data or your configurations in the CrossTab tool. 

Would you be able to provide a workflow that I can use to reproduce the issue? 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hm, I just tested on my end and was able to successfully run a workflow with a cross-tab using AMP.

What version of Designer are you on? Do you see the same behavior when using a flat file rather than a database connection? I've attached the workflow from the screenshot below if you'd like to try running it.

echuong1_0-1608150366344.png

sjain71
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I replaced the DB input to a text input with same data. I am still facing the same issue. Attached is the workflow. The version of alteryx is 2020.3.5.30242

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It looks like this issue is specifically due to the way the boolean value of the flag is being handled. If you change your select tool to change the Bool data type to a VW_String with a larger size you are able to get past this issue for the time being. 

sjain71
7 - Meteor

But when I uncheck the AMP engine it works fine. I can't change the bool to String since it's used as a bool in the workflow.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can absolutely change it back to bool after the crosstab. My point was to give you a working solution for now while the team looks into it. An AutoField tool following the crosstab may be a good solution given the potentially dynamic nature of the boolean fields that are being pivoted so that it would properly adjust unknown fields back to bool. 

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@sjain71 

Thank you for the workflow. We will definitely look into this.

There are differences in how AMP handles data types with the Text Input tool described in this documentation: https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/alteryx-engine-and-amp-main-differences 

It also mentions that the record order coming out of CrossTab may differ with AMP.

I've not heard anything specific to Boolean data type with AMP yet, so this is something we will want to investigate and possibly add to our documentation while we determine what to do about it.

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
Labels