Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

AMP Engine Percentile Bug

SamBealing
6 - Meteoroid

We have recently upgraded to Alteryx Designer x64 Version: 2022.1.1.25127.

I have found an issue when calculating percentiles using the summarize tool on large data sets

In the attached workflow, I generate some long arithmetic sequences and then use the summarize tool to find the 50th percentile (median).

With the AMP engine turned on, a lot of these percentiles come out to the wrong values. What seems to be happening is that the correct percentile from one group is being outputted as the percentile for multiple groups. All these percentiles should be distinct and yet:

SamBealing_0-1659351954996.png

turn the AMP engine off and the issue goes away.

Wonder if this is an issue any one else has had and if it can be fixed/there is a workaround.

13 REPLIES 13
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@SamBealing ,

looks like a 🐛 to me too. 

@TonyaS @jarrod 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @SamBealing  for the workflow. That will help a lot. 

We'll take a look.  I do also want to mention that there are some patches available for 22.1 - there is 1 already out and another coming out any day. Might want to wait for patch 2. https://alteryx.flexnetoperations.com/flexnet/operationsportal/entitledDownloadFile.action?downloadP... 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I have created a defect for this, I'll let you know when I find out more. 

Tonya Smith
SamBealing
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @TonyaS .

Edotime
6 - Meteoroid

I have downloaded the latest patch, turned off the AMP engine, and this issue is still persist.  Is there another work-around?  Do i have to revert to an older version (is this even possible)?

Thanks

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

So @Edotime are you saying this is not an AMP specific issue? 

@SamBealing can you confirm this? Did you only see the issue you posted about with AMP enabled? Or does it also happen without AMP?

Tonya Smith
Edotime
6 - Meteoroid

From what I can tell, this is not an AMP bug.  But just to verify, I want to confirm that I actually turned off the AMP correctly.  I turned off the AMP by removing the selection in the screenshot attached.

I ran some additional test and I am seeing some strange behavior:

--  I see this error in a large workflow

-- I break the data into smaller chunks in this same large workflow, and it works fine for some subsets, but not for all

--  I get the data from this large workflow going into the percentile calculation, save it in a yxdb file, and rerun the same percentile logic in another canvas and the percentiles look perfect

I completely confused...not sure what is going on.

TURN OFF AMP.png

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

That setting only turns off the User Setting to enable AMP when building new workflows. There is a workflow-level setting under the Workflow Configuration - Runtime tab. To turn AMP off for a workflow that was created/saved with AMP enabled, you need to uncheck the "Use AMP Engine" checkbox there. 
You can also try using AMP with "Engine Compatibility Mode" checked, that setting maintains the same sortation method as the original Engine uses. 

TonyaS_0-1668711483522.png

Tonya Smith
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I just confirmed that this is fixed on the Release Candidate build for our upcoming 2022.3 Release. AMP now returns the same results as the original Engine. 

It does appear that the issue was AMP specific. 

You can also tell whether a workflow ran with AMP by viewing the Results: 

TonyaS_0-1668712559245.png

Tonya Smith
Labels