Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

A single joined table on a multiple joined data source

Lady_B
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all. 

I'm new to Alteryx but I'll make this simple. I want to recreate this Tableau data source as a workflow in Alteryx. What's tripping me up is the OneView_Client_Property table on the far right. I'm not sure how to join a table to another table. I tried the Join Tool but that doesn't seem to work. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. The join field is the same for all...[Job Nbr].

Lady_B_0-1613419698145.png

2 REPLIES 2
TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hey @Lady_B ,

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question fully, but here's my attempt at answering you!

It looks like your Tableau join is first joining the Jobsite Address to the OneView data before joining it to the rest of the data. It's sounds like most tables are joining on the same key (Job Nr), but I wasn't clear if that's true for these 2 as well. But in simple terms, your two likely choices are:

1. Join Multiple: Do this if you have many tables joining on the same key (i.e. all tables joining on Job Nr)

2. Join: If you want to join 2 tables on specific criteria (e.g. in your Jobsite Address & OneView example), then use this tool. From the example shown, it looks like it was decided to join these two tables first (separately), so I would use a join for these 2 and the join multiple for the other tables. 

I add an image below that hopefully helps to demonstrate. I've dragged both types of joins on here - the configuration pane on the left shows the join multiple example. I've written in the comment boxes how each tool joins.

Joins.png

Let me know if that helps? It's not a perfect example but hopefully the concept comes across.

Regards,

Tom

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi again @Lady_B ,

I noticed that the images appear to show "left outer joins" in Tableau, i.e. not full joins. Please note that the Join Multiple tool typically allows full outer joins and not left joins.

So I show an example below that more closely reflects your situation - I've added a filter where non of the records joining from the "right" side that is not in the "left" side is allowed through. So this is similar then to a left outer join.

Hope that's clear 🙂

Tom

P.S: Attaching workflow in this image.

TomWelgemoed_0-1613421990325.png

Labels