Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

A more complex "is date between 2 dates" issue

csh8428
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I know this will probably seem like it's been covered, but I haven't come across a similar scenario.

I have a series of projects along with the start and end dates for the projects. Now, because this is going out to Tableau I had to build  a Date Scaffold because I need to know whether or not the project is active in any given week. Because of this, Every project has a record for every week interval bothe before and after the project start/end dates.

I've done plenty of If date between date range calcs, but the usual IF AND calcs don't work for this. 

Using the attached sample, I I'm trying to determine if a project code is active during each week interval. It gets trickier because the project end date will be outside the week interval; so you can't just do the usual If Date A is greater than Date B and Less than Date C logic since there are 4 dates to take into  account(Project Start Date, Project End Date, Week Start Date, Week End Date).

Thanks for any help!

Craig

Thanks for any help

2 REPLIES 2
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@csh8428 

Can you provide a sample of output?

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @csh8428 ,

Maybe something like the attached will work for you. When you're question is actually at Date level, I like to generate each of the dates between weeks and directly match on the date to see a project starts/finishes.

Here I've used the "Generate Rows" tool to generate all the dates between the Week Start & Week End as well as between the Project Start & End to then see where they overlap. Note: The weeks did not cover all the project dates, so you have some project dates that don't fall in a week in this example. You can simply just extend your week "Scaffold" to cover these weeks and then use the same workflow.

Let me know if this is helpful/on the right track?

TomWelgemoed_0-1614668711811.png

Labels