Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

240,000 +/- points - to split into contiguous groups of 500 - no 2nd file of points.

TaraCroninTWiG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi - 

I'm working with the virtual support team on this and it SEEMS simple but we're not finding a solution.

I have a point file of 239,466 electric poles and need them gathered into contiguous groups of 500.  Ideally the resulting file will contain a field with a unique "Group ID" of 1-479.  There is not a secondary file of points to spatially join to.   We have joined the same file to the Find Nearest tool inputs, causing 116 million records to process.  The results do not assign a unique ID to the group of 500 records.  I've tried the Tile tool and the Predictive Grouping "Find Nearest Neighbor" tool, which isn't producing results.  

In the mean while I'm in ArcGIS bringing the points into the Township boundaries and may have to do some type of Trade Area work... this would be best as an Alteryx workflow that our team can run again and again. 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tara Cronin

tcronin@thewillgroup.com

4 REPLIES 4
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @TaraCroninTWiG .

can you provide some data so we can see what it is you're trying to do?

M.

Bulien

8 - Asteroid

Are the +/- points coordinates? What if you have one column with lat another with the long, format them as a numbers, sort, and then group into 500 pole chunks.

TaraCroninTWiG
6 - Meteoroid

Yes, thanks.  This only gives me lateral groupings instead of a grouping of nearest. I have teams that will be on the road  to assess the poles in these areas so this makes no sense time-wise.  This needs to be cluster groupings. 

I believe my next attempt will be building a half-mile grid over the points, gathering the counts into those grids and creating a point file based on the density.  Building a 479 point file from hand is what I was hoping Alteryx could prevent me from doing but I'm under a time line so I've been using ArcGIS to look at other solutions.

I appreciate any time you spend helping with a solution!

Best,

Tara

TaraCroninTWiG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

The data is client owned so I cannot share.  If you use any other grouping of points, (ZIP Codes, ZIP+4, etc.) that can represent the same principal in this exercise.

Thank you for any time spent on looking for a solution.

Best,

Tara

Labels