Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

2018.1 Issues

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

I have tried on two different occasions this week to use version 2018.1, but its performance has not been great. 

This most recent attempt, I installed only Designer, no predictive tools, to see if that would help, and it did not.  From the time I double-click the icon to open Alteryx, to the time it's actually usable, is just over 4 minutes, whereas it used to open in a matter of seconds.  Once it's launched, there's a delay in running workflows (I click run, and it's about 10-15 seconds later that it actually starts processing), and once the workflow has finished, I can see in the worklog that the workflow finished in 0.9 seconds, but it's about a minute after that when the window pops up to inform me the workflow has completed, and I can't interact with anything until that window appears.  When I'm building flows, dropping tools onto the canvas and whatnot, that all seems to run smooth as ever.

I checked the system requirements for the new version, and it's recommending 8GB RAM minimum (which I have), and a quad-core chip (unfortunately, I have dual-core).  I can't see anything in the release notes that makes me think my setup, which ran Alteryx just fine prior to this update, would now struggle to run it, though I may be mistaken.  It's not like I'm running an ancient set up here, though.  Has the engine really changed enough that a dual-core processor is going to severely hamper my performance?

I had a co-worker try as well, and his results were about the same.  Are we going to miss out on updates now unless we can convince our IT peeps to get us new RAM and Processors, or is there something we're overlooking here?  Any thoughts or insight are much appreciated!

18 REPLIES 18
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@Justin_0

Have you fed this back to support@alteryx.com?

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

Friday was a crazy day, and I meant to do that, but looks like I forgot to. Whoops. I have now though, so thanks for the reminder!

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

Been emailing back and forth with Alteryx Support, sounds like I'm not the only one, and I was able to do some testing to help them work on this.  So, while it isn't fixed and I'm still using 11.7, this was definitely the correct path to take.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Justin_0

That's great that you were able to work with them to try and debug the issue.

Sucks that it's still not resolved but hopefully they'll get a minor release out soon.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Is there any indication as to how widespread this issue is?  We are planning to move our designer and server installations to 2018.1 on Friday.  We may delay if people are having issues.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

Here's the only blurb I got about the frequency of the issue while emailing back and forth with Support:

"We've received some other reports of similar behavior and our development team is actively working on the issue."

I was the guinea pig for my workgroup.  I installed it to test it out and see if we should all make the change, though my team is only 5 people, so it's easy to coordinate these things.  It might be worth you testing it out and seeing if you experience the same troubles.  It sounds like a part of the problem is how Designer communicates with the licensing server, as when my laptop is completely offline, it works just fine, but if it has to work around proxies and things, that's when the issues creep in.

RCurry1230
7 - Meteor

Ok, I am having the same issues over here. I will downgrade for now. THANKS FOR POSTING!

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

If you haven't already, I'd definitely reach out to support@alteryx.com to let them know, it sounds like they're tracking the examples, and I'm sure the more they have, the better!

RCurry1230
7 - Meteor

I did send them a note. But my 11.8 is actually acting pretty slow too.

Labels