Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

2 Questions: Standard Deviations and Search possibilties within database

Floris77
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am facing 2 small issues for which I cant find the right answer, but are probably not too hard to solve... hopefully ;).

Standard deviation.

I know you can calc the Stdev within Alteryx via the Summarize tool. However, how can you calculate the Stdev for numbers for 1 one and the same row?

Example.

Name   Monday   Tuesday   Wednesday

Peter      1,000     1,0000     1,000

Frank     0,872       0,822      1,344

Shaun    2,444       1,222      3,456

How can you can calculate the Stdev for each person (Mon+Tue+Wed)?

Search

Via a filter option I have setup Peter in this example as benchmark. By typing in a new persons name I can adjust that so that person will become 1,0. Is there any good en convenient way to type in the name of the person I want to benchmark instead of going back to the Filtr formula? I tried the textbox icon, but cant figure it out.

Hopefully it make sense a bit, as these are examples and not the real data inputs..

Thanks again for helping me out.

Best,

Floris

4 REPLIES 4
AndréB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Floris,

See attached workflow. Transforming your day of week data to be row based instead of column based will allow the summarize tool to calculate the standard deviation across all days after a groupby on the name field. Not sure I understand your second comment. It seems fairly simply updating the name in the formula tool but let me know if the attached doesn't help.

-AndréB

AndréB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Floris,

See the attached workflow. Transforming your day of week data to be row based instead of column based will allow the summarize tool to calculate the standard deviation across all days after a groupby on the name field. Not sure I understand your second comment. It seems fairly simply updating the name in the formula tool but let me know if the attached doesn't help.

-AndréB

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hello @Floris77!

Like @AndréB, I am unsure about your second comment. Are you wanting to set each of the columns for the given name equal to 1? If so, the attached workflow shows how you can use the TextBox and the MultiField formula tool to do that. You'll also see my slightly different approach to your first question. Since the textbox is an interface tool, you won't actually be able to see it in action unless you run the workflow as an app by clicking the little wand next to the green Run button at the top. This will pop-up a form where you can enter the name you wish to make the benchmark. Click Finish and the result will appear. Hope this helps!

JohnKTran
6 - Meteoroid

Hey @DultonM,

Do you have an example of a workflow version of your attachment?

I can't seem to open it up as a .yxmd file on my end, would be good to understand the formulas you use to create what you have.

Regards,

John

Labels