Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

179KB file is too large to save to a flat file?

adm510
11 - Bolide

I'm trying to save some data that was downloaded to a flat file using Alteryx.  The input to the data output component is 179KB, but Alteryx keeps giving me errors saying my file is over 1GB in size.  If I save it as a CSV the file is only 88KB, so I don't know where the 1073741823 bytes are coming from. Any thoughts?  Ideally I would like to save the ASCII file as-is, so I can keep a copy of the original data.

flatfile.png

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@adm510,

I would suggest that you put an "Auto Field" tool in just prior to the output.  My guess is that the V_WString (Size 1073741823) is the issue.  The data may be small, but when you output to a FLAT file, it will expand each field to it's maximum size.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
adm510
11 - Bolide

@MarqueeCrew

That helped a bit, but it still won't allow me to save the file due to size issues.

flatfile.png

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Please PM me with your email and I'll setup a webex now with you.

Cheers,

Mark

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Solution was:

Use CSV format with \0 as the delimiter.

Cheers,

Mark

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

This post really helped me out.  I had to output a single field to a file.  The field was a very, very long XML string that I had munged together.  It was important to output the field value "as is", so using a null separator, and dropping the headers, and not quoting values.  Very helpful of you to post the solution, thanks!

JamesMalyk
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much for the solution on this, it's been bugging me for a while... great output tool/method.

amitios
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for solution

Labels