Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

1 to Many Matching on Amounts

J-Riedel
8 - Asteroid

I feel like this might be a long shot, but thought I would post my question out to the community to see if there are others that are smarter than me!

I have 2 tables of data, where I need to match on the amounts only and no other data is common between the 2 tables to use for matching/joining.  Table 1 will always have one 1 amount, but table 2 could have many amounts.  So looking to see if there is a way to join/match on the 1 values in Table #1 to the sum of multiple values in Table #2.

I have attached both my workflow, along with the data to show the relationship between the tables. Here are my issues:

1. I was planning to match off the 1:1 items using the Join tool.  This works great, but for items where there are multiple entries (i.e. the value of $40,000 twice in both tables), I am getting 4 records in my J anchor of the Join.  So looks like AYX is showing all possibilities (2X2=4 records).  How can I prevent this?
  2. Any thoughts on how I can join/match of the L and R anchors of the Join in a 1:Many match/join? 
    1. I do know that their could still be items in the L and R that do not join/match at the end.  These are the values that I am trying to filter down to as these are the items that will need to be researched.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

7 REPLIES 7
TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

maybe something like this?  

J-Riedel
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Tim.  This works great to get rid of the multiple values in the J anchor.  

I am still looking for a way to join the L & R anchors on the 1 to Many relationship.  

Any thoughts?

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

As an example, you want to match 25000 + 500 to 25500?  Do you know that the entries 25000 and  500 are related or is the amount the only data element you have to go on?  

Regards,

Tim

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@J-Riedel One way of doing your second requirement. Can you elaborate on your first question?

binuacs_0-1667226482093.png

J-Riedel
8 - Asteroid

@TimN Yes, you are correct in the I need to match the 25,500 to the 25,000 + 500.  Unfortunately, the amounts are the only data elements I have.  There are no other fields that would match between the 2 data sets.

@binuacs  - Elaborating on the first question (in my AYX workflow) where I am looking to join the L & R anchors.  The L anchor could join to multiple records in the R anchor.  See my example to Tim above, where the item in the L anchor is $25,000 and this will match up to the $25,000 + $500 from the R anchor.

Looking for a way to join all possible when I only have the amount field to work with.

Thanks!!

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

Is it always 2 amounts that will be matched against 1 or could it be 3 to 1, etc.?

Tim

J-Riedel
8 - Asteroid

Could be 1 to 3, 1 to 4, etc.  There is never a specific amount in the many

Labels