Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

$0 inputs are showing up as amounts greater than $0

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have a workflow that takes an input with 4 financial fields (labeled with 'Option' in the column headers of example). The workflow adds all of the fields (labeled as 'Total' in the column header of example) and then filters any amounts out that are not $0 using the filter tool. For some reason, the amounts that should be $0 are showing up as values other than $0. Attached is an example workflow and dataset. 

Example: If I take the total of all of the "Option" fields for #1 I would believe the "Total" for it would be $0 but Alteryx is recognizing a number other than $0. 

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Input File

datauser4234_0-1659385521452.png

After Alteryx Calculation - Shows an amount other than $0

datauser4234_0-1659384230327.png

5 REPLIES 5
mmotte628
8 - Asteroid

Hi Datauser4234-

By default, Alteryx rounds to 6 decimal places. I am not sure how to get it to show more than that, but this can lead to rounding errors. Perhaps you could add a formula saying "If Total < 0.001" or something like that, have it equal 0. 

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

I updated the question to clarify.  The amount in excel is showing $0 but Alteryx seems to be attaching a value to it. If you take a look in the Alteryx file after the calculation, only the "Total" column exceeds 6 decimal places whereas all the rest of the financial fields seem to remain under the 6.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @datauser4234 

The trouble seems to be with the source data, as it's producing a value not equal to 0 in excel as well. However, if you change the data type for your Total calculation from double to Fixed Decimal that seems to work, with only records #2 and #3 comining through the filter.

Kinga
8 - Asteroid

Hi @datauser4234 

I made small thing: open Excel file and sum those figures there. It is look like that rather excel issue...

Kinga_1-1659388662698.png

datauser4234
7 - Meteor

Thank you for taking a look at this. Do you by chance know what the technical reason in Excel could be that could be causing this issue?

Labels