Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Use html sdk for building App UI

Hi Alteryx team,

The current UI options for building Alteryx Apps are very restrictive. Three simple changes could allow us to build much more feature rich apps.

1. Make the html sdk for building custom tools available for building Alteryx App interfaces.

2. Allow us to place objects from the interface palette next to each other (horizontally)

3. Allow the text in Labels and text box tools to be driven from incoming data fields, for instance in a chained app.
5 Comments
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

bump

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@DavidP I think these are really great ideas. I’ve personally not played around with the HTML SDK but given you can get some really cool UI set ups for macros it’s a shame that Analytic App UIs are so restrictive.

Do you think there should just be a HTML editor built into designer, or a separate interface designer which has the common building blocks to add the required elements into the app interface so it is consistent say with the interface tool options, and allows citizen designers to stay in a no-code environment?

Your point 3 is what I want to be able to do within analytic apps and I’ve got a post about it here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Analytic-Apps-able-to-display-results-direct...

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@cgoodman3, my thinking was that there are quick wins like the 3 points mentioned above that could free up a lot of possibilities.

Then, as you suggest, there is the more comprehensive drag and drop type html editor that will unlock these capabilities for a wider audience.

I expanded on this very idea in the discussion https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Analytic-Apps-Share-Your-Experience/m-... that was started by @joannallyson a while back where I know you also commented.

There are other great ideas in that post too. Let's keep the conversation going and hopefully it can gather some momentum - #letsmakeappsgreatagain

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi David

I just came across this post which has some good ideas and interestingly is moved onto the next stage of the ideas to possible implementation cycle.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Application-Macro-interface-design/idi-p/813...  

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes