Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Make backup (bak) file creation optional

The bak file that is automatically created (and re-created if deleted) really clutters up our folders.

Please allow us to either turn it off, or specify a different location to hold our back up files.

Thanks

48 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you all for your feedback and use cases! I've insured this feedback has been put on our product team's radar for consideration in regards to this idea.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Agreed, they clogs up my directories  

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would like this. It can cause errors Cannot Overwrite Calgary File - Alteryx Community and clutters things.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi all

This macro provides a workaround to delete these *.bak files, if anyone is interested.

Delete Files - Alteryx Community

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

I use Alteryx to generate 200+ reports, same report, different recipients.  I before sending, I have to inspect each to look for and fix any formatting errors.  Having to sift though an equal number of bak files is beyond tedious and time consuming, especially when bumping up against deadlines.  Please make optional or allow us to designate a central folder.  Mil gracias in advance.

akadwa
7 - Meteor

Just do away with the bak file completely. If that is not possible, then have an option to disable it as a default for all workflows.

allt3ch
5 - Atom

We store all our documents in Teams/sharepoint/onedrive Folders and this process breaks the versioning system that they provide.  Please let us turn this off. 

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

I could take a nice long vacation with all the time I've spent dealing with .bak files.  Please make their use optional.