The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Flexibility to change UI preferences for Menu Palette background color, fonts, etc.

As you know, Developers and Analysts are very picky when it comes to their UI preferences. Regardless of their preferences, providing the option to change these settings is the KEY.

Currently, in the latest version, under the Edit User Settings menu option, there is no way to change the dark background colour of the Menu palette which comes by default with the new version. Give us the ability to customize this please.

Dark_Background_Color.jpg

Thanks!

5 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

@sameerpremji Can you tell me a little more about what you are requesting? With the new design, we did not remove any options to change background colors or fonts. We haven't had those options available in the past. What specifically are looking for?

Also, can you give me a little more feedback about what you dislike about about design and would want to change?

Apologies in advance for a delay in responding to future comments, since I'll be out of town with family for the holiday next week. 

Rachel Wynn

Product Manager, Designer

sameerpremji
8 - Asteroid

" We haven't had those options available in the past." -- This is true, however, in the past, you never had a dark background as shown in the screenshot. Hence, if someone chose to change the background color, then that someone also needs to provide us with the flexibility to change it to what a user may like, albeit, with perhaps, limited options. In previous Alteryx Designer versions, there was never a dark background! This is causing readability issues for some of the users in my team and I am simply relaying this feedback. For me, it makes it slightly difficult to read but it's not a big deal for me personally but for others, yes it is.

Ideally, we should have an option to set the UI to (1) Alteryx Designer (older versions) or to (2) mimic Windows UI settings (i.e. whatever my current UI settings are in Windows, it should simply pick those up) or (3) Alteryx Designer (customized) whereby a user can customize the background color, font-type, font-size, but with limited yet sufficient options.

Another option would be to mimic Microsoft Office UI when it comes to various tabs and buttons. The fact that we can no longer have quick access to Open or Save buttons and the fact that they're hidden while these are the most often used buttons, it is not user-friendly for users. Every time I have to open a file or save, I must click and expand the menu and look for the correct options hidden inside the menus. These are the classic UI challenges that Microsoft had already solved in Microsoft Office UI design, based on feedback from thousands of users. Maybe the Alteryx UI design team could take some hints from there?

Also, the UI team should ensure that not everyone has a 20/20 eye-sight, so it must pass through the Accessibility standards.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

@sameerpremji Thanks for the clarification. I'll look into what we can do to improve the readability of the font displayed on the dark menu. We plan on making additional design changes for the Designer in the next release and will consider your feedback in making those changes. 

AbiAtWork
6 - Meteoroid

The dark menus are very difficult for some of us with older eyes to read after a long day of staring at a screen.  The ability to go back to the old colour scheme would be greatly appreciated.  Even if you fill in the little icons with their colours rather than just having the outline would help a tonne!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for your post! We are really interested in this idea, however we cannot fit this idea on the near future road map. We’ll keep this idea in mind however and update the status once we’re better able to speak on when and if we can implement it.