Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Database Connection to Directory Tool to Read Table Names

We all love the Directory tool as it allows us to read in a list of files in a given folder location and sub-folder location, but wouldn't it be nice if we could use the tool to connect to a database and read in a list of table names? This would allow us to easily build batch macros to allow us to loop through all tables within a datasource as we can with flat files.

This would be a great help in data migration, as I could then build a single tool where I could just input the connection string to the source from which I am extracting and the destination connection and migrate the data automatically.

Would be nice.

M.

3 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

I've conducted a quick review of this idea to insure it has all the necessary components present for when the criteria is met for the idea to be submitted to product, and it looks good. If you haven’t yet be sure to check out our updated Submission Guidelines as well as the other product idea boards!

Per
11 - Bolide

There couldbe an issue with how different databases would provide access to this. I know for Oracle, there is a convenient ALL_TABLES but I am not sure if all users have  access to this table, which could cause confusion. 

However it might be that most database drivers contain a default access to all tables that Alteryx can piggyback on. Would be nice indeed!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes