Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

search characters in a text using macro

LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a complex work match problem which I hope someone could help me as I'm new to macro.

I have a list of product description and in the description are certain text that will tell me if the product is a single unit or multi-pack.  For every product in the list I will need to find if there are particular text in the product description and if the text is found then it is a multi-pack.  The only problem is that there is no convention as to how multi-pack are recorded in the product description.  For example a 2-pack could be recorded in the product description as "2P" or "2PK" or just "2X".  Therefore to reduce the resource consumption of the workflow all I need is that once a match is found in a particular product description then stop the matching and flag that product as a multi-pack and then go onto to the next product.   

Here is an example of 5 products:

PURINA F/FST ROY TUNA 3X85GM
DINE CHICKEN MORSELS 85GM
S/TOM F/CTCH JMBOPACK 2X100GM
WHISKAS FAV CF TUNA IN JELLY 5P
PURINA F/FST CHICK GRAVY 12PK

I have created a file with all the possible pack size key word.  Here is an example of 3 possible convention to denoting a 6 multi-pack:

packsize1packsize2packsize3
2P2PK2X
3P3PK3X
4P4PK4X
5P5PK5X
6P6PK6X

For the first product, PURINA F/FST ROY TUNA 3X85GM, I will need to match against row 1 & 2 as well as column 1,2,& 3 - however once it finds a match in row 3/column 3 then it will stop there and write to a separate column that says its 'multipack'.

The pack size key word file is 24row by 3 column so I do not want to attach this file to every product record because it might make the file too big as there's about 1million rows of product data.  I was hoping you could help me with a macro.   

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LIOUJ 
No macro need, if you dont insist.

A Find and Replace Tool is perfectly fit for the job.

1116-LIOUJ.PNG

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Regex would be a great option for this - see below for an example:

jamielaird_0-1605534327243.png

The regex used for your use case is explained in more detail here:

https://regexr.com/5gbi6

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LIOUJ 
Appeciate if you would mark it as accept if you find the workflow useful.

LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

Thanks both.

I am new to Regex so keen to learn more about it.  I find Regex a 'cleaner' solution as there's less step but am not familiar with the coding.

thanks.

Labels