Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

schedule and run an excel macro within alteryx

Max_Ocean
6 - Meteoroid

I have a macro for a file which downloads large quantities of data from various servers (Alteryx will not have access to these servers) and rolls the file to the new business day. This acts as an input file before some analysis is done on it and then an output file is generated. There are multiple files of this nature in which someone has to wake up at 6.20am each morning to click a button to kick off each macro. This is a task that takes atleast an hr

Is there a way Alteryx can be automatically scheduled to run these macros (from excel) and gather the data into alteryx as a set of input files?

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
binuacs
20 - Arcturus
Max_Ocean
6 - Meteoroid

i could use this to run macros to source data Alteryx doesnt have access to directly? and I can then schedule it?

Max_Ocean
6 - Meteoroid

Reason I ask is that the original macro also grab a snap of a large amount of data in the first place. the extra below from your link doesnt mention how macro can grab that data in the first place?

will this cscript run that exact macro (once you provide location of the macro) and do that same grab and load up the data I need from the various servers and bring it into Alteryx for further analysis?

Write Source – 2 recommendations here:

1. Save off your data (attached example).
  2. Insert the data you are going to use in the macro, into a tab on the workbook.

Read Results – again 2 recommendations:

1. Read the resulting worksheet the Excel Macro modifies (attached example).
  2. Read the data you originally saved coming into the Run Command.
Max_Ocean
6 - Meteoroid

actually thinking about it more, I want alteryx to schedule a flow where it opens a macro enabled excel file. run the macros within it then close the file (hopefully this will not need the Alteryx flow, if it saved on a server, to require access to the other various data servers to grab the datasnaps)

Labels