Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

interrogating mixed fields

becki
8 - Asteroid

I have a data  set of mixed fields, some numeric , some strings.  i want to look at "statistics" on it, looking for nulls, looking for numeric ranges, looking for all unique values, etc...  i know i can put a bunch of summarizes in there, group by each field and count but is there a better way?  I tried "Field summary" but "shortest and longest" value of strings isn't what I need.  other ideas?  thanks

becki kain

8 REPLIES 8
GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

Hi

Is the built in feature (data profiling) not what you are looking for?

Stick a browser on your data input and click on a field to see these stats in the configuration window. 

cheers

Gavin

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @becki

As well as the above mentioned statistics you can get from the profiling within the browse tool.

There is also the Field Summary tool, available within the Data Investigation section of the tool palette.

This will be similar statistic to that of the browse along with a few others, and the biggest differentiation is the interactive output for each column as well.

becki
8 - Asteroid

sort of.  that helps at least with a field that should be string and is showing as numeric but not quite all of what I want but it is another tool to use.  thanks!

becki
8 - Asteroid

yes. I said I tried field summary tool but it's not quite i'm looking for either

thanks

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Sorry, in me reading your post and you mentioning Field Summary that then entered my brain.

I think the tool that may help provide more of what you are after is the Frequency Table.

This is added as a tool when you install the Predictive tool set, so you may not see it within your tool palette.

You can download the predictive toolset from here: http://downloads.alteryx.com/downloads.html

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi @becki,

I made a macro awhile back that creates a unique list of all the values that appear in each column. The macro is called "List Field Values" and is available on the Alteryx Analytics Gallery here. This should at least address the "looking for all unique values" portion of your request. Furthermore, if you see Null in a column's list, that means that at least 1 Null record is present. You can edit the macro to give you more information, such as the counts of all the list values. Hope this helps!

becki
8 - Asteroid

thanks  it's in Data Investigation.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@becki wrote:

thanks  it's in Data Investigation.

That's the one :-)

Labels