Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

fill up and down with multirow tool

lliberm01
5 - Atom

Based on the screenshot, I want to in essence "group" the IDs and then if data is missing in a column, "fill up" or "fill down" if null/empty so that each cell is filled in.  I am assuming the multirow tool be used but what is the best way to implement this?

4 REPLIES 4
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Do you only ever have 2 ID's that are the same or could there be more. If you had 3 for example and Field 1 was filled in on ID A1 and A3 would you fill up or fill down on A2? 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

use a summarize tool - group by and then take max value of any fields you wanted to "fill." Then join back on your original datastream.

lliberm01
5 - Atom

Its possible I think to have up to 4 of the same ID.  It could be any combination of scenarios as far as the fields.  All fields may already be filled and with different info and I won't be able to determine which is best so its fine to pick either.  Some may have neither and will remain empty/null.  In other cases one will be chosen.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

post some data which is closer to your actual data with the actual results you'd expect - the way your describing it has too many holes. how do you choose which value to fill an empty with if you have two different values in a data field for the same grouping?

Labels