Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

drawing a line on a map that wraps from one edge to the opposite edge

Matthew
11 - Bolide

i built a workflow that will draw a flight path between two airports, its working well, but if the flight path goes off the edge of the map, then alteryx draws a horizontal line across the entire planet, and continues the rest of the curve on the other side of the map.

is there any way i can remove that horizontal line connecting the two halves of the curve?

NothingButThyme_0-1629982364691.png

NothingButThyme_0-1629982693461.png

4 REPLIES 4
Matthew
11 - Bolide

Got it.. I needed to split the line into two lines where the longitude flips from positive to negative. This has a side effect of reducing the flight distance by the length between two points on the line, but I can go back and grab that flight distance before i split the line in two.

NothingButThyme_0-1629984202174.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Matthew 

I don't think there's a built-in feature to do that.  You'll probably have to split your poly-line in two, with one part for the eastern segment and the other for the western segment.   Basically split where your longitude changes sign.

Edit:  What you said with the split triggered on the lng instead of  lat.  You can fly from Australia to Chile without crossing the equator.

Dan

Matthew
11 - Bolide

yeah i just figured that out, thank you for confirming. it had a side effect of ruining my distance calculation because a segment of the line is missing between two points (where i split the line into two lines), but i can calculate the distance separately

also, can you tell me how to mention people in comments? i can never get that feature to work

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@Matthew 

The @mentions are unlocked when you're a meteoroid.  The level after yours, probably just a few posts away.  See more details about ranks here

Dan   

Labels