Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

complete neophyte that's been thrown in the deep end, and I need some help

sameersheikh
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I'm not sure if this is where I am to post this or another discussion area.

I've just started a class to learn Alteryx Designer.  I know absolutely nothing about it.  I'm at the first lesson where we had a demonstration on how to import an Excel file with some bikeshare data, and well, that's pretty much it.

Given I don't know what I'm doing, I have no clue how to answer the following three questions:

• Are there any missing/blank/empty/null values?
  • What was the average daily number of bikes rented for both kinds of users?
  • What about the max and min?

I seriously hope the instructor doesn't expect me to sift through like 17,000 records to answer the first question, and as for the other two, I'm completely lost.

I tried to engage ChatGPT, and bless it for trying to help, but it's instructions of what to click and where to go aren't at all accurate.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Peachyco
11 - Bolide

All of those can be answered by the Summarize Tool.

• Are there any missing/blank/empty/null values? In the Summarize Tool, select all the columns, then set the Action to "Count Null". This will show you how many empty cells there are for each column, if any.

• What was the average daily number of bikes rented for both kinds of users? I'm assuming that [Casual] and [Registered] are the kinds of users. In a second Summarize Tool, select those columns, then set the Action to "Numeric > Average".

• What about the max and min? I'm assuming that this is similar to the second question but finds Max and Min instead of Average. In a third Summarize Tool, select [Casual] and [Registered], then set the Action to "Min". Next, still in that third Summarize Tool, select those two columns again, and finally set the Action to "Max".
sameersheikh
8 - Asteroid

I came across - rather stumbled upon - the information in the "browse" section.  As for the Summarize tool, I'm clearly not doing something right, because I'm not getting the information that I need.

summary screenshot.pngsummary screenshot 2.png

Labels