Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

YTD (cumulative) data to MTD data

ROHANPACH
7 - Meteor

Hello experts

I have large data sets in a cumulative way like different files on YTD basis. So for example - multiple files for Jan YTD, Feb YTD and so on.

By Union tool I can make 1 file since the structure of all the files will be same. How do I get the data for individual months and probably automate this for future months as well? 

Request your help on this!

12 REPLIES 12
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ROHANPACH ,

I think, a Sort tool and a Multi-Row Formula tool should do the job.

First sort your data (by account,code and period), the calculate the difference between row (current month accumulated) and previous row (previous month accumulated), difference should be the monthly value.  If value for previous month is NULL, it is the first month for the current accent, so monthly value = ytd

2021-06-24_07-49-07.jpg 

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@ROHANPACH 
Can you give us a sample of your desired output? 😁

ROHANPACH
7 - Meteor

Sorry, should also have given the desired output. Basically I want the dates in columns with both MTD & YTD section separately  

ROHANPACH
7 - Meteor

Please find attached

ROHANPACH
7 - Meteor

Thanks! @RolandSchubert 

On running the flow, it is not matching with I am expecting,

for eg. Account C Code S214 I should see +43 in Feb and -43 in March. not seeing in your file.

Have attached the expected solution for your reference as well.

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ROHANPACH ,

I'm a bit confused ...  in your Excel file, there are two rows for account "C" and code "S214":

2021-06-24_15-35-17.jpg

In Alteryx, sorting data by [Account], [Code] and [Period] returns:

2021-06-24_15-36-04.jpg 

Is there an additional condition or criterion to sort by?

Best,

Roland

ROHANPACH
7 - Meteor

Hello @RolandSchubert 

I get it now! you are right, I had an issue in my solution file. Just 1 more question - can we have the data with MTD month columns and then YTD month columns?

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @ROHANPACH ,

using the Cross-Tab tool you can move amounts to columns. I added rename to create month names as headers and used Join tool to conect monthly and accumulated values.

2021-06-24_17-19-54.jpg

Best,

Roland

ROHANPACH
7 - Meteor

Hi @RolandSchubert 

The structure is perfect! but I think we have an issue in the MTD calculation.

For Eg. Account A & Code S234 Feb YTD is 0 so Feb month should be -40.. since Jan is 40.. right? but we have 0

ROHANPACH_0-1624548942167.png

I think we are missing a formula somewhere.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels