Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Workflow to Send Personalized Emails

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

Morning,
I want to create a work flow that automatically sends a personalized email to a manager that notes the name of the employee, what office the employee checked into and the number of times the employee has checked into that office during a specific week. I want the manager to receive one email per employee. The email would come from a shared mailbox, "Supernatural@supernaturaltv.com"

See attached sample data.

Ideally, I want the email to have a basic format of the following:

"Dear <Manager>,

Your employee, <Employee Name>, checked into the <Office Building> office, <# of Check-ins> during the week of <Week>."

We would modify the Week depending on which week we want to report out on.

If looking at the week of February 6 - February 10, based on the attached data, Dean Winchester (Manager), should receive one email regarding Meg Masters (Employee), noting that Meg checked into the Dallas office 4 times during the week of February 6. Dean Winchester would also receive a separate email regarding Jack Kline, that Jack checked into the Boston office 2 times during the week of February 6.

I'm aware of how to set-up a workflow to send a general email, but not personalized emails. What's the best way to pull something like this together? Any assistance/guidance would be helpful.

5 REPLIES 5
BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@edmund_belleza you can feed that data into a Report Text under 'Reporting'.  From there, you can create the body of your email and the fields per record will be under the 'Available Fields' dropdown.

BonusCup_0-1678804910546.png

Using your script I was able to create this output.  I highlighted your example using Dean Winchester and Meg Masters.

BonusCup_1-1678805004116.png

Out of the Report Text that should go into the Email tool.  Configure that to your SMTP and then you can enter 'Supernatural@supernaturaltv.com' in the From field and then select the Manger Email in the To field.  For the Body, select the name of the Report Text tool.

BonusCup_2-1678805202380.png

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

Thanks @BonusCup! I appreciate the quick response. I was able to adapt your proposed solution to my workflow. It took a little finagling but I think i have it working now.

Thank you!!!!

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

@BonusCup, i wanted to follow-up. hope you can still help.  In chatting with my client, instead of individual emails for each manager/employee combination, they are asking if we could send one email to each manager listing the Employee Name / Office Building / Week / # of Check-Ins in a table format within the body of the email. How would/could I best adapt the workflow? 

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@edmund_belleza ,

In that case, Table tool would come in handy.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1679011334555.png

Table Tool Configuration

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1679011397750.png

You need Layout tool to put the text and the table together, and then use the Layout in Email tool.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_2-1679011513812.png

As the Report tools have many params, you may want to play around until you are comfortable with the appearance of the output.

Good luck.

edmund_belleza
7 - Meteor

@Yoshiro_Fujimori , thank you for taking the time to respond to my follow-up inquiry. I was able to incorporate and successfully implement your recommendation with my test Workflow. I'm planning to meet with a colleague in the next day or so to implement in our main workflow. Much appreciate your help!

Labels