Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Why does the Download Tool download the data twice?

abragg0103
7 - Meteor

I have a large file (500mb) that my workflow has to download and then process.

I noticed that the Download Tool downloads the file once, then overwrites the file and downloads it a second time. I watched the folder that the file is downloaded to and confirmed that this happens.

Is there a way to avoid this? Am I setting up my Download Tool incorrectly? Unfortunately I cannot share the link, but it is being imported from the URL field of a connected text input tool.

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @abragg0103 

Could it be caching the file until completely downloaded, appearing as twice?

abragg0103
7 - Meteor

Possibly? That's kind of my question. The problem is it takes about 8 minutes to download the first time, then it spends another 8 minutes overwriting it and downloading it the second time. Ultimately it's not a massive problem but I was curious if I'm doing something wrong in my settings or not.

AZuc
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@abragg0103 

How many rows your download tool is receiving. Could you check if you're not sending the link twice?

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @abragg0103 ,

as @AZuc suggested you're probably sending the link multiple times to the download tool. If you are dynamically building your URL based on logic, or if you are scraping the sub-URLs from the parent page, then you will need to add a summary tool and group by the URL field. This will then produce the unique URLs that you are downloading.

M.

Bulien

Labels