Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Update Value for Union Tool

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

when I update value to a text input my workflow runs fine, however when i attach it to a union tool (in place of the text tool) it does not give me a result.

Any tips for this? If I attach the update value to my text input and set it to te Data parts, it works. 

How can I fix this?

wonka1234_0-1678392362348.png

12 REPLIES 12
David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

I fail to see what your are  attempting to accomplish with the  Union tool.  You only have one input going  in, and your  Field Select is set up  to change the properties at run time.

What's your end goal?

Ciao,
David

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

OK, I didn't  see  your attachment  until after I posted.  (WFH with a sick kid,  so my  post took a bit to  get finished.)

Perhaps you should use the Summarize tool, as you CSV file has a list of   summarizations.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@David-Carnes 

you mean something like this? but my fields could be different for each run.

wonka1234_0-1678412147926.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@David-Carnes is correct. An action tool can update what a tool is doing or the values contained therein. It can only update the values of tools in tools which can change values (ie text input/formula/multi-field formula/multi-row formula for example). For a tool like Union - an action tool will not add any new data. It will modify the settings of the tool - in this case it would change if you are configuring by name or position. It could change if you output all fields. It cannot add additional data though.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@apathetichell @David-Carnes  i cant seem to get this working with the summary tool, how can this be done? anyway i can hack this?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

You don't. Summarize tool will not allow you to add new data in an action tool. Try connecting your action tool to your text input tool!

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

@wonka1234 !
I'm trying  out a  solution but I'm hammered at work, which is the norm.    I'll take  my lunch break in a couple  hours and try to come up with an answer.  Got an idea I want to test.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

TBH - I think this is incredibly far from where you need it to be. I assume this was built for you by a consultant or someone? Can you ask them for help. There are multiple missing pieces.

@David-Carnes - If you decide to take on this task, I'd recommend matching the results of the tree interface tool to the original tree input data source and then running in a batch macro to modify the summarize tool.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@apathetichell  not written by consultant, i found it in the alteryx gallery/community. Pretty much I am trying to take my output (of my union) and be able to expose summarize options in the analytic app view.

Labels