Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Input Data Tool - Won't Change Sheet Name

hike44
7 - Meteor

This is driving me crazy.  I have no idea why this flow is not updating my Input Tool based on the selection that is being made via the File Browse tool. 

The File Browse tool asks user to select the file and sheet that they want imported.  But this selection does not update the Input Data tool with the new file path and new sheet name.  Any thoughts??

file browse.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

can you provide a screen shot of the configuration of both the question tool, the action tool, and the input tool?

hike44
7 - Meteor

@mbarone here you go!

File Browse Tool

kshuk_0-1615925317848.png

Action Tool

kshuk_1-1615925352332.png

Input Tool

kshuk_2-1615925405883.png

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For some reason that sort of thing only seems to work if you set it up like @Jonathan-Sherman explains in this post:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/File-Browse-No-sheet-specified/td-p/49....

hike44
7 - Meteor

So it turns out my issue was that the workflow was functioning correctly but just not showing me an output since i only had a Browse tool at the end.  An actual Output tool of some kind will do the trick.

But for all those who want something in the interim for testing purposes the following also works:

Menu View > Interface Designer Ctrl + Alt + D 

On Success - Show Results to User > Open files From These Tools > ☑ (Click checkbox)

After enabling that, the correct output shows up in a new window.  

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I thought the issue was the Input Tool was not updating correctly ("But this selection does not update the Input Data tool with the new file path and new sheet name")?

hike44
7 - Meteor

There are no visible changes when you run the workflow with just a Browse tool at the end.  The file path doesn't change in the Input tool and there are no other indications that the value is actually being updated as it was supposed to.  The Input Tool preview would still show the data from the original file path/sheet as would the Browse tool.  So, in fact, I thought that the Input tool WAS NOT updating correctly.  I guess it just seems in this flow results will not display in the Browse tool, but only as some other output.

Labels