Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unique not being Unique

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Good Morning All,

Simple one this, basically I am trying to get unique names that haven't appeared on the register every day I run the register, so basically if that person has appeared before, it shouldn't appear. My normal register is about 3000 lines long every day, but i can recreate the problem just the following lines....

Data:

SurnameFirst NameDate
SPINKBob01/Dec/22
SPINKBob02/Dec/22
SPINKBob03/Dec/22
SMITHJames03/Dec/22

Workflow:

Bobbins_0-1670491657962.png

However, this gives me as Unique:

Bobbins_1-1670491767505.png

Should only be SMITH?  Why???

Thank you

Bob

9 REPLIES 9
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Bobbins 

Have tried the same as below.

ShankerV_0-1670491960192.png

Can you please attach your workflow, will check what went wrong in your workflow.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

@ShankerV attached! Its as simple as yours however i note you also have two names, when it should only be one?

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Bobbins 

If i understood well you need that only names that never showed before to show up when you run the workflow, right? Here is one way of doing this. 

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1670492219142.png

The unique tool will keep unique ocurrences of the row, so if you look at your workflow you have this. 1 row for Bob and 1 row for James, the tool is doing exactly what it was supposed to do (if you remove duplicates on excel it would give you the same result). You need this last piece to make what you need.

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Bobbins 

I see your input as Smith and not as SMITH,

ShankerV_0-1670492281820.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Bobbins 

The Unique Tool doesn't work in the way you're wanting it to; it will find the unique instance of EVERY Surname, hence why you're getting both come through.

I think you need to try something like this:

Count the number of times the name appears, and filter on value of 1

DavidSkaife_0-1670492252021.png

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Apologies, just the way my text input is. However, even then unique is not being unique. Only Smith should show

@Felipe_Ribeir0 that's an interesting way of doing it!

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Bobbins 

The unique tool does not do the Uppercase or Lowercase. It just does the activity of Unique. 

Hence it produces the output as Smith from the Input.

If you need the output in Upper case then need to use the Data Cleansing tool to make all the datas in columns as upper case.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

@DavidSkaife Ah that would explain it then, its not quite as unique as I thought unique was. Thank you for that explanation and your suggested answer

@Felipe_Ribeir0 Your answer works, so using that.

@ShankerV Thanks for your help, as David has explained, unique is not quite as unique as i thought and hence you need some way of filtering them out!

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Bobbins 

You can now see the Unique names even if it is in Lower case or Upper case in the Input:

ShankerV_0-1670492556304.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

Labels