Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unexpected error occurred in plugin after PDF: Permission Error warning in PDF to Text Too

Peggy
7 - Meteor

I am using the PDF to Text tool in Computer Vision.  Occasionally, some PDF generate warning messages when they are converted.  The workflow continues like other Alteryx warnings.   However, I when I encounter this specific warning message, the workflow fails with the plugin error.

Warning: PDF to Text (31): Errors encountered in extracting text from the image content in PDF .PDF: Permission Error: Copying of text from this document is not allowed.

Error: PDF to Text (31): Unexpected error occurred in plugin please see log file: C:\Users\hzp8sbd\AppData\Local\Alteryx\Log\PDFToText31.log

Anyone have a workaround? 

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
19 - Altair

https://superuser.com/questions/47462/cant-copy-text-from-a-pdf-file - explains that this is expected behavior (for users) for some pdfs - if you can confirm this specific pdf is copy protected - that would at least clarify that it is expected behavior from a pdf point of view.

Having said that - If I was using the intelligence suite - and I had this issue - I would contact Alteryx support and expect an in-product solution vs a code based workaround.

Peggy
7 - Meteor

The issue has been reported to Alteryx support. 

Peggy
7 - Meteor

Resolution:  

Alteryx has logged defect TISE-498.   

Workaround:

I discovered this config change workaround which was also suggested by Alteryx.  Depending on your input, this may result in fewer docs with text extracted, but it does avoid the workflow "hard" error.     

Peggy_1-1709215635039.png

Labels