Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unable to open file for write

Sreenath_001
7 - Meteor

I have the workflow created and saved in Alteryx server. When that is executed, sometimes it works and sometimes it triggers error as "Unable to open file for write: Can't open file as the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". What's the fix for this. Attached screenshots of success and failure messages of the same workflow ran on different time frames.

Sreenath_001_0-1687202578158.pngSreenath_001_1-1687202584112.png

Sreenath_001_2-1687202590832.png

40 REPLIES 40
jdminton
12 - Quasar

Are you able to test the previous version to see if turning off the AMP engine fixes it? I'd like to provide an update to support.

lbardoe
8 - Asteroid

I used a Python script to copy the file from Source to a Temp folder and then pass the new path back out via the Alteryx.Write function and then read that file in.

jdminton
12 - Quasar

I was referring to @Sreenath_001 . I don’t see that you’ve posted on this issue yet. I’m trying to diagnose a specific issue. Are you experiencing the same issue with block until done?

Sreenath_001
7 - Meteor

@jdminton I thought I had responded to you yesterday in the thread. I did a simple change in the workflow that I put the output file inside a folder in the same path and ran the workflow and it worked. 2 runs were tested and both were successful. Although I would get to know when more runs are performed in the coming days if that all go successful or not. I will add any of such cases in this thread.

jdminton
12 - Quasar

Thanks @Sreenath_001 , but I followed up after seeing if you could test the original workflow after turning off the amp engine. That fixed my issue, and I wanted to pass along to support if it fixes yours. Do you still have the original workflow?

Sreenath_001
7 - Meteor

I keep my workflows with AMP engine off and that generated results initially. Please see the screenshots for your reference.

jdminton
12 - Quasar

Thanks @Sreenath_001 . Since I ran into the same thing, I was wondering if yours would resolve the same way. I'm glad you got it working. 

EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Additional suggestions can be found here:  

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Additional suggestions can be found here:  https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Error-writing-Excel-file-to-Shared-Drive

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
EdP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Additional suggestions can be found here:  https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Error-writing-Excel-file-to-Shared-Drive

Ed Phelps
Sr CSE
Alteryx
Labels