Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Topic Modeling Intertopic Distance Map - what is the meaning of the spacing

Kmassey
7 - Meteor

Hi - 

As I understand it, the intertopic distance map uses the size of the circles to show proportionally the amount of words that belong to each topic across the dictionary, and the distance between bubbles shows the degree to which both bubbles share words.

What is the significance of where in each quadrant the bubbles fall? In the map below, why are topics 2, 3, and 5 at the upper left, 1 is on lower left, and 4 is the only one one the right? I get that the axes are a way to visualize multiple dimensions, but are PC1 and PC2 any more than "thing 1" and "thing 2"?

Kmassey_0-1678133853952.png

2 REPLIES 2
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Kmassey - If you will click on Saliency and Relevance in the report, you will find an answer:

ArtApa_0-1678147050415.png

Kmassey
7 - Meteor

Thanks, I didn't realize those were links - some good background info there. Regarding the spacing of the bubbles in the intertopic distance map, it does seem to be a grid of "thing 1" and "thing 2" where the things are a compilation of many dimensions. So it seems that the layout could be flipped 180 degrees and still impart the same information. Or have I missed something?

Labels