Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Time Series Forecasting by Multiple Fields

NakulMalisetty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Everyone,

I am building a forecast using the Time Series time series forecasting model. I tried with ARIMA which only allows to forecast one numeric field with date. I have multiple fields I need to forecast - is there a way I can add multiple fields so I could forecast for all the fields at one time?

Attached excel has the sample data from 2021- 2023(Nov) and highlighted data from Dec-2023 to the end of next year is to be forecasted in Alteryx. 

Thank you for the support in advance.

Thanks

Nakul

10 REPLIES 10
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You cannot natively in the Time Series tool - you'd have to either do a new model for each column you want to forecast, or create some sort of batch macro.

NakulMalisetty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the response. Coming to macro, I am trying with TS Model Factory.

Could you elaborate or share a sample to do a new model for each column?

Thanks

Nakul

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi Nakul,

TS Model Factory will allow for multiple models based on a grouping field, but that doesn't sound like what you are trying to accomplish - it sounds like you are trying to affect the response variable. For example, it sounds like you are trying to forecast unit cost AND units. This would not be a case for the Factoty tools in that scenario.

I can try to help further once there is more clarity on the ask!

NakulMalisetty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alex,

I got few suggestions to try TS Model Factory to achieve what I need and I am still trying it. If this model doesn't help then there is no point of working on this model.

As the attached sample data, my requirement is, I have a date field, two numeric fields and few other fields. Now I need to forecast all the fields till the end of next year. I tried and ran out of ideas, it will be helpful if you provide a sample with the attached data in achieving this.

Thank you for the support.

Regards

Nakul

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi Nakul,

I am sorry but your requirements are not fully clear, and I won't be able to help without clarity on more things.

• What field frequency are you using (monthly, daily, etc.)?
  • If you are doing ARIMA, are there covariates to be aware of?
  • Why you are using the TS Factory tools? The only reason you'd use it is if you wanted to make a model per unique value of a column, i.e. Region (East, West, etc.). So what are you assuming your grouping column is?

You can include your workflow by clicking Options > Export Workflow so we could use it as the basis.

NakulMalisetty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alex,

I am new to Alteryx and randomly trying all the forecasting models to achieve this.

I attached the workflow for reference.

• Date frequency is on daily basis however, the output I am trying to get is on 'Monthly'

Thanks

Nakul

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi Nakul,

Apologies but I cannot help further without more information - here's what I could accomplish based on what you've described so far and the new data you have provided.

-Alex

NakulMalisetty
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the workflow! I already tried this way, here we are able to forecast one numeric field based on date however, I need all the other fields to be forecasted as well. Is there a way we can achieve this in Alteryx?

Regards

Nakul

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi Nakul,

You only had one viable numeric field in there to calculate so I did it based off of that. If you want to repeat for others, you can repeat a similar process in that container with the Summarize, TS Filler, etc. These would just be multiple containers in the same workflow. I can't invest time creating a batch macro solution until more time is put into having data to do this on - I also think repeating the containers for each metric is absolutely viable since you might want to treat each one differently in some way.

-Alex

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels