Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text To Columns changed data from long dash to hyphen

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Hello,

After the Text To Columns function was performed, one of the records got changed from "LA (–) 50%" to "LA (-) 50%". Then, it does not join with the record from the other set of the report. Both input data files are in the same file format xlsx. I don't want to use Replace to change the hyphen back to the long dash for this record as I have other records that contain hyphen. Does anyone know how to correct this one record back to "LA (–) 50%"?

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @gc-804 

Can you elaborate more on whether the col that contains this value was used in Text to Col or not? It will be great if you can share a sample workflow so we can better understand the problem. Cheers!

FilipR
11 - Bolide

I would personally unify all (-) and (–) in both inputs before doing the joins.

Can you please provide the example where Text To Columns behaves that way? Maybe the (–) it changes is actually a completely different symbol than usual?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @gc-804,

The easiest way to convert - to – is with the replace function like this:

IraWatt_1-1657180888784.png

You may need something more advanced as it changes all little dashes in that column to –.

IraWatt_0-1657180752338.png

I tried to replicate your issue. I don't think its the text to column tool unless your doing something different?

gc-804
7 - Meteor

Thank you all for your replies!

My work flow has input/out configuration for Gallery. When I created a simple file input without that configuration and connected directly to Text To Columns, it did not change the long dash to the short dash. So, IraWatt is correct - the issue is not with the text to column tool. I will use "LA (-) 50%" in the replacement function instead of "-". So, it will not change other records that have and need "-".

Labels