Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text Input not updating via Action tool

Nadia_Bonner
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to set up a Text box to update Text Input tool value in first line and column, the action is update Value - Data -. replace specific string box ticked.

Nadia_Bonner_0-1660906341647.png

Nadia_Bonner_1-1660906421527.png

Nadia_Bonner_3-1660906513733.pngThe original text I am trying to replace.

After typing the new text and running the app, I get the window where I can see the value updated (to Singapore)

Nadia_Bonner_4-1660906695435.png

However, when I check the Text Input, Browse the results and check the output file, the value is unchanged. The debugger text says it was run. There is also additional file of .bak type generated with the xls output file, which I can't open.Nadia_Bonner_5-1660906925839.png

Nadia_Bonner_8-1660907301543.png

Nadia_Bonner_6-1660906995393.png

Nadia_Bonner_7-1660907092779.png

I have read through similar messages and tried to run the workflows which were posted as solution - they also seem to have the same result as me - the value changes in the app output screen, but in the actual workflow end result.

Is there something I am missing?

7 REPLIES 7
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Nadia_Bonner ,

Can you please clarify on what you mean by ' I check the Text Input, Browse the results and check the output file, the value is unchanged'.

Also can you please share a sample workflow?. 

Nadia_Bonner
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jagdeesh,

when I look at the values in the Text input tool, Browse tool , the output xls file and any of the downstream application after the Text box app after I run the app and the workflow, I would expect the text value to be updated to Singapore, but in all these tools, the text value remains unchanged (ie. not updated) - this is demonstrated by the three screenshots in the second half of my question.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Nadia_Bonner 

Thanks for sharing.

Would the assumption that you are looking to replace entire text within the column 'Journal text' (Reclassification of Singapore Reinsurance Life) be correct?

Nadia_Bonner
8 - Asteroid

Yes, that is correct. I have highlighted the fields I wish to update in the attached screenshots for illustration and it is specified as a c[1] value to update  in the Action configuration screen.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Nadia_Bonner 

makes sense.

Please find attached an example that showcases how to do that. 

I think the confusion you might be having is with either of these two things:-

1. How the output(from the text box) to the text input  works in the 'debug' mode.

2. How the replacement of the values works when the application is run in the normal mode (by clicking the run button instead of the magic wand)

If either of the above is true the below explanation might help:-

1. In the app debug mode it just takes the default value specified in the text box. In your workflow it is 'Singapore' which does get replace in the text input

2. If you are running the app in the 'normal mode' (using the run button) the replacement of the text does not occur as the configured action is not executed. The action tool only comes into account when you run it as an app(magic wand button)

Hope this helps.

Nadia_Bonner
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @JagdeeshN . i have not appreciated this fact before.

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Nadia_Bonner 

Awesome! hope our discussion leads you in the right direction. Happy solving!

Labels