Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Survey Data - change from rows to columns

dbhamber
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I have been trying to use transpose, cross tab, select data. Just cannot get my head around it

I have got Survey data that is in Rows I need to turn the column Question into Headers, there are 10 question and these will be repeated for each person.  I can remove columns Question Type and Number. 

Any help will be appreciated, just trying to get to grips with Alteryx.

Thanks

Disham

Question Type NumberLearner Answer TextQuestion%Answer
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)1Strongly agreeLogin Process75%It was easy to log on and access the Virtual Classroom session...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)2Strongly agreeCourse Experience75%I could hear clearly throughout the session...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)3Strongly agreeCourse Experience75%I could clearly view all visuals and media throughout the session...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)4Strongly agreeCourse Content75%The information shared in the session was relevant and useful...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)5Strongly agreeCourse Content75%The questions posed were relevant and helped to focus my attention...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)6Strongly agreeThe Trainer75%The trainer was knowledgeable...
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)7Strongly agreeThe Trainer75%The trainer was engaging...
Free Text/Comments8socail media is the way forwardOverall75%What key learning shared in this session will help you in your role?
Free Text/Comments9noOverall75%What would your suggestions be for improving the session?
Multiple Choice (Single Answer)1010 - Very LikelyOverall75%How likely are you to recommend others to attend this course?
6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dbhamber ,

I'm not sure of your requirements, can you please provide a mock up of what you are trying to show from that data?

M.

Bulien

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @dbhamber 

Can you provide sample data and expected output.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mceleavey 

I agree with @mceleavey, it sounds like the cross-tab tool should get you what you need. I'm just not clear what data you want in each of these new columns.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/cross-tab-tool

dbhamber
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Its Friday. Let me explain the data in column Questions needs to be the heading:

The survey answers will fall in line with the questions, I hope that makes sense. See attached.

Thanks again

Disham

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Is this what you want?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @dbhamber 

Here is how you can arrive to the excepted output from the given data.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1622212431283.png

1. I am taking each required columns separately and converting them to column with number as header

2. Later i unioning the rows in order

3. While outputting i am configuring skip field names this way the header which is numbers wont be outputted.

Output:

atcodedog05_1-1622212718397.png

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels