Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize multiple string fields independent of each other

sowjanyayinti
7 - Meteor

I am drawing a blank over this and want to throw this here for some help. Let me know how silly it is of me to not be able to figure this out.... I swear I am missing something right in front of my eyes.

How do I get counts of each field in a file independent of other field in the same file? If I have more than 25+ fields in an excel sheet and I want to get counts of values in each field - summarize tool is not cutting it as I have to use too many summarize tools.

I am attaching an excel file where the first tab is some sample data and second tab is the output I am trying to get. Any help is greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
19 - Altair

transpose. summarize tool group by name/count (or count distinct value) - that will give you a count of distinct values in each column.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Like so?

image.png

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@sowjanyayinti 
I made some twist based on the idea of @apathetichell  to comply with your specified format.

1102-sowjanyayinti.PNG

sowjanyayinti
7 - Meteor

Thank you all. I didn't think of the tile tool. Appreciate your quick responses.

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @sowjanyayinti 

My solution like @Qiu , but added some tools for fully meet your needs as field order and row queue.

录制_2023_11_02_15_08_34_574.gif

Input         
ColorFruitVegetableCharactersShows     
RedAppleTomatoChandlerFriends     
BlueBlueberryBlue CornChandlerEverybody Loves Raymond     
BlueBlueberryBlue CornPhoebeWest Wing     
GreenKiwiSpinachPhoebeNewsroom     
YellowMangoSquashPhoebeLupin     
RedCherry ChandlerPeaky Blinders     
RedCherryTomatoChandlerSuits     

Output         
ColorColor_CountFruitFruit_CountVegetableVegetable_CountCharactersCharacters_CountShowsShows_Count
Red3Apple1Tomato2Chandler4Friends1
Blue2Blueberry2Blue Corn2Phoebe3Everybody Loves Raymond1
Green1Kiwi1Spinach1  West Wing1
Yellow1Mango1Squash1  Newsroom1
  Cherry2 1  Lupin1
        Peaky Blinders1
        Suits1

Hi, @Qiu , your flow is a nice play ! 👍

sowjanyayinti
7 - Meteor

@flying008  - how did you get the record id in the summarize tool. I see only Name and value in the summarize tool. Also, I tried to figure out how you did your workflow and I am not getting the counts at the end. How did you get the counts without selecting them in the 'select' tool at the end?

Can you share your workflow please?

sowjanyayinti
7 - Meteor

Ignore my previous comment. I figured it out  how you got the counts but still not sure how you were able to output record id in the summarize tool:).

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @sowjanyayinti 

FYI.

录制_2023_11_06_08_15_09_598.gif

Labels