Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Single Placeholder - For all Columns from All sheets

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi,

I have an excel workbook with multiple sheets (say around 30) with different schema and say in each sheet I have more than 40 columns.

Say I create all the Linkage or joins using the key columns from all the 30 sheets in this case I'm not bringing all the columns from all the  sheets just one key column from each sheet to create a join and produce a output data. ( I bring in only the key columns using the select tool not all the columns from all the sheets)

Instead My requirement is to have a single Placeholder in the workflow to have all the columns from all the sheets  in one place so that i can choose the columns which I wanted for my downstream analysis in one single place.

Attached a sample sample workbook for reference.

4 REPLIES 4
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@suby How are you going to chose which column from which sheets? Do see any issues to bring all the columns from each sheets and select the one you wanted? 

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi Binuacs,

Initially I will bring in the key columns (One key column from each sheet) using the select tool  from each sheet to create join relationships so that I combine all the 30 sheets together on my workflow initially.

The reason i don't want to select all the columns from the sheets initially because there are too many columns in all the sheets.

So initially when I build the WF I bring in only the key columns for join purposes and then I need a single  placeholder where i want to have the all the other columns( except key columns) from all the sheets so that i have al the columns from all the sheets and then choose the specific columns that I need for specific downstream analysis

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@suby how you will identify which key column should extract from each sheet? 

suby
11 - Bolide

There is a PK - FK relationship exist in all the 30 sheets and I will use the select tool  to bring in only the key columns initially.

Labels