Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Sharepoint Input Help

Mike710
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

My team shared a Sharepoint file with me. After I click the link, I can access the (.xlsx) file. I want to Parse the file from SharePoint and load it into our database (SQL). I am using Alteryx (ETL Tool) for this. My question is, Do I have to ask my IT to give me access to the SharePoint site, or would sharing the file would be good enough to parse the data?

I am new to Alteryx. I downloaded SP List Input. SharePoint URL not sure what information I would enter. If I enter the shared link, I get an error saying it is not a valid link: client ID and Secret Key. 

Any advice would be highly appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @Mike710,

If you can access the file from your computer, your Alteryx Designer on your computer will also be able to access the file directly. The SharePoint tool is not required in this case. This would only be necessary if you tried to access the file from a machine that isn't able to do so, therefore the SharePoint Tool uses the Microsoft API. 

Long story short: You can just use the regular input tool. 

Mike710
6 - Meteoroid

I appreciate your help. 

I am using the "InputData" tool. However, When I copy and paste the SharePoint Link I can access through my desktop to the "Connect a File or Database" section, I get an error saying it is not a valid link. 

I apologize if I am asking basic or stupid questions. The file is not saved on my local drive. Otherwise, I can Browse the .xlsx file. 

Labels