Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Server, cannot find macro

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I am getting the error msg :

• Cannot find macro "PDF Input\PDFInput.yxmc". (Tool Id: 1)

How can I use a macro on the server? I have copied it to the folder that my workflow is using.

4 REPLIES 4
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @wonka1234 

The macro will need to be accessible by the server machine.

You will need to store the macro in a network location that the server can access.

If you go to Options --> Advanced Options --> Workflow dependencies.. you can edit the path of the Macro to the network location that the server can access.

Hope this helps. If it does, please like the post and mark it as a solution.

MRod
8 - Asteroid

You can also add the macro to the upload package when saving to the Gallery. Save a Workflow to Gallery 

In the Save Workflow window

1. Select your Workflow Options.
  2. Manage workflow assets: Select to manage the assets associated with the workflow. Be sure to select your macro.
Cedric
8 - Asteroid

Additionally, I have found that I need to often edit the XML if I'm using the macro from a macro directory that I have mounted to Designer. It will often in XML be macro="..\..\location\macro.yxmc". I have found that I have to hard code it to a URI mode, save it as a second yxmd, test it and make sure you don't have the dreaded question-mark-in-place-of-your-macro, and then upload. 

To edit the XML, bring any yxmd (or yxwz) into a Notepad++ and look for <EngineSettings Macro= in Notepad++. 

Cedric_0-1685136114904.png

The part in the red box is the part that I substituted from "..\..\..\" to the full URI version of the location. 

And, yes, the Gallery Server must be configured to have access to this shared drive. 

Blake_E
7 - Meteor

I know this is an older post, but wanted to add some context that helped solve the problem for us.   Check if the Designer on your machine has user settings configured to map a macro repository.  Those settings can be found here:  Options > User Settings > Edit user settings > Macro tab.  When that is setup for a user, they should have a matching tool palette folder containing the macros found in that location.  If a user drags a macro from that macro tool palette, then the following items needs to checked before the workflow will save to Alteryx server:

1. The macro folder path in the user settings macro tab should be in UNC format
  2. The above mentioned path should be accessible by the run as user that will be selected (or chosen by default) when saving the workflow to server
  3. IMPORTANT: your Alteryx server admins need to log into the server machine(s) and open Alteryx Designer as an administrator, navigate to the macro tab within user settings and setup the same macro folder path with UNC format

Provided all three of those things are done, then you should not see a validation job error with the "unable to find macro" message.

Labels