Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select Tool Anchor Output Gives Different Results from those in Browse Tool.

garrettjohnson
6 - Meteoroid

I am a newbie to Alteryx and things like this cause me to waste valuable time (2 hours in this case).I went to Alteryx Inspire in May and noticed many of the lecturers simply clicking on the anchor next to a Tool to view the output rather than placing a browse tool at that location to view the data at that step of the workflow. Today I did the same and then used the search window to view a particular piece of data. What caused me to waste time was trying to determine why that piece of data was missing from a previous tools output but EXISTED in a subsequent tool. I finally went back to the browse tool and saw the missing data was there all a long. (See the attached).

Has anyone else had this experience or why is this happening?

5 REPLIES 5
Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

@garrettjohnson - when you click on the output anchor of a tool, depending on the number of records, it doesn't always show you the full population of data. For example, it might show you 2,000 of 10,000 records, so when you search for a specific record, you won't get a result if that record is in the 8,000 that are not being shown.

To see the full population of records you need to use the browse tool.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

That's why is says "partial results"

KGT
8 - Asteroid

As a little more context, the "Browse Anywhere" option which is viewing the data on any connection point will by default show 1MB of data. This can be changed in User Settings, but if you change it to more, you will need to restart Alteryx to clear any caches etc more often. Having a workflow open for 2 days MAY start to get slow as the cache holds a sample of every connection.

garrettjohnson
6 - Meteoroid

Great response and Thanks

garrettjohnson
6 - Meteoroid

This is the answer! I wish that there was a system-generated message concerning this.

Labels