Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Scientific(E) notation

Ankita1991
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I have a data in excel where some records are in number format and some records are in percentage.When I have loaded that excel in Alteryx using Input tool ,percentage records are coming in Scientific(E) Notation.How should I convert to percentage?

Requirement:

I have to transpose all HQ1 till HQ5 columns,so I need a method to change the formatting of records having percentage format.Is there any method to do this or changing the formatting for only some records?

Please find attached screenshot of the data.

Ankita1991_1-1594648522215.png

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Ankita

5 REPLIES 5
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Ankita1991 

I would use the Multi-Field tool to remove 1000 separator and % and convert the relevant fields to numeric fields. Then you can Transpose. Example attached.

DavidP_0-1594650440960.png

Ankita1991
5 - Atom

Thanks @DavidP .I tried the same thing but in my case,percentage value gets converted to Number format.I guess ,it's because data is in different format in excel file and in the attached alteryx package,text input is used to enter data.

Attaching the dummy data file for your reference.

PedrodeOl
9 - Comet

Hello @Ankita1991 

In Excel, a percentage is a double divided by 100, when the file is loaded into Alteryx, it reads the file as a double, which is the reason for the scientific notation. If I understood your need, the attached workflow could solve it.

Let me know if it works

Ankita1991
5 - Atom

Thanks @PedrodeOI.This is working for the dataset I attached here.But,when I am using my main data Source file which has more columns and data,percentage numbers are still showing in Scientific notation.May be something is wrong with the file.I'll try something from my end.

One thing which I noticed is while opening the package you attached ,I got below error but clicking Ok,I am able to see the workflow.I am using 2019.3 version.Do you think version could be the reason I am not getting proper results?

Failure to Import ..\Convert_% (1).yxzp.
There was an error opening "C:\Users\xxx\Downloads\Convert_% (1)\New Workflow2.yxmd":

This workflow was created by a more recent version of Alteryx, and may contain tools or functionality not present in this version. Alteryx does not support using an earlier version of Alteryx to open a workflow created with a newer version. For best results, download the latest version of Alteryx.

Thanks for your help.

zeb27
5 - Atom

Hello, 

Would you be able to post a screenshot? I cannot open to the newer version of alteryx.

Thank you.

Labels